Wisconsin Reef Society

The Wisconsin Reef Society
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:12 am

All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:20 pm 

AntiSPAM: No
I have been using Limpits Reef Buffet for about a year now and enjoy the product. The one problem i have been having is breaking the froozen food up small enough to not over feed my tank. I have been thawing out chunks in a cup of tank water prior to feeding, and then throwing away the "extras" to ensure i wasnt over feeding.

Recently, I just purchased a small squeeze bottle that I now fill with tank water and about a weeks worth of food. I store this bottle in the fridge, and when its time to feed, i simply shake the bottle and squirt some into the tank. It works great IMO because i can control how much food I feed and waste nothing.

Does anyone think that unthawing this food and storing it in the fridge in tank water for about a week at a time is a bad idea? Just interested in everyones thoughts.

P.S. This is the bottle I bought
http://www.rei.com/product/753331/round-bottle-3-fl-oz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:56 pm 

IMO thawed for a week is stretching it a bit even being kept in the fridge.
What about using a cutting board and cutting up a frozen chunk into smaller pieces and then storing those smaller pieces in the freezer till needed.
Another thing you can do is request your retailer to carry our bulk cube packs :-bd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:20 pm 

I cut it into cubes on the cutting board as Ron suggested and put it either in baggies or my wife prefers that we use those hard ziplock storage containers like these https://www.mysupermarket.com/landingpages/product.aspx?productid=239338&skipregister=true&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Search_US&utm_campaign=Google&utm_content=CPC48300&banner=248300

Have also heard of using something like a cheese grater on the frozen block in the baggie but that sounds like it would be more difficult than just getting out the cutting board and making your own cubes.

Ron my fish in the DT really like your food.

http://www.reeftronics.net/Dn/drdavis/apex-status
http://www.reeftronics.net/Dn/drdavis/apex-history

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:36 pm 

i just break off chunks and hold the frozen peices near the return from my sump. this rapidly thaws them and blows them around the tank for everyone to eat and chase after. I have a lot of snails and a few shrimp that i know are eating this way. I'm sure i'm over feeding but everything is doing great and i;ve been doing this for a while now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:35 pm 

I agree with the cutting board idea. I cut small pieces, depending on which tank i'm feeding, thaw in a small glass and slowly pour into a area of high current to help disperse around the tank.
There are times if i'm felling a tad bit lazy, i will just drop the frozen morsel in the tank and let the fish pick.

Gotta love Limpits Reef Buffet...

Dan

Remember the two benefits of failure, First, if you do fail, you learn what doesn't work.
Second, the failure gives you the opportunity to try a new approach.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:38 pm 

I do something simmilar to MassiveReefer. I thaw a chuck out in a small plastic container with some tank water. When its time to feed I use a syringe. Keep the leftovers in the frige for max of 3 days.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:49 pm 

I thaw a small bit, about the size of a nickel,in a cup with tank water and then let it settle for a minute. Then I can use a turkey baster to get the meaty larger pieces off the bottom for the fish to have their feeding frenzy, and then I use the less meaty/cloudy stuff to target feed corals that could use the help. I toss the rest, no need to over do it. I don't feel it's wasteful at all as I'm getting and using each feeding to its fullest.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/reu214/set ... 684596740/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:02 pm 
WRS Member
WRS Member

Lol

Sent from my coral garden

God Built the Oceans in a Single Day ! It will take slightly longer to build mine . . .

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:22 pm 

Watching Spaz stick chunks of Limpets to his power head is pretty epic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/reu214/set ... 684596740/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:12 pm 

Reu2 wrote:
Watching Spaz stick chunks of Limpets to his power head is pretty epic.

You mean to say that my powerheads are not broadcast feeders? When I had my puffers that was how I made sure they were getting exercise until they learned they could also stick to the pump and much the icy mess...