Wisconsin Reef Society

The Wisconsin Reef Society
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:14 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Regarding Limpits Coral Blend
Poll ended at Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:16 pm
Yes, omit the garlic and nutritional additives from the Coral Blend. 23%  23%  [ 6 ]
No, leave things just the way they are. 77%  77%  [ 20 ]
Total votes: 26
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:19 pm 

AntiSPAM: No
In my experience, it seems the bubbles are so big and can't bust down in the neck and rises so much that it literally rattles the top on the skimmer. The cup fills in a few short minutes and begins overflowing if not drained. I can try to take a video with my phone and see if I can upload it to share. I can try to do that tomorrow. Anything to help pin down what may be causing it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:53 pm 

Limpit wrote:
Funny you would mention that Lonely as I am currently working on a few testing samples to find out if the skimmer issue some people are having is food related. I have never had any issues with any of my setups or skimmers with overflow acter feeding. That being said if you are one of thoss people who is having skimmer issueswhen feeding my food send me a PM and hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.
Thanks

Like I said my skimmer is kinda touchy anyway. It's just a hob aquamaxx and it works awesome but the down side is any change at all in the water makes it go a little crazy when I use your food it skims a little more but nothing to get excited about. It will be intresting to see what happens when I finish my new setup. Going from sump less 30 gallon to an 80 with 40 fuge and a different skimmer but I will definitely let everyone know if the feeding has any effect on the new skimmer as well. That's why I have a hard time understanding how on my small 30 gallon with a hob skimmer no sump or fuge and running chemiclean I have no problems feeding your food at all, but I also have detectable nitrates to begin with and I believe that has something to do with it. And my nem gets healthy portions of limpits once a week nickel sized and no overflow or weird stuff happening with the skimmer. I really wrote that last thread to try to get more info from people to see if they had this happen with anything else. Phyto really freaks my skimmer out.

I'm all about being a test dummy though I will help anyway possible.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:11 pm 

I have periodic overflowing skimmer issues. One problem I found was a partially blocked air line, but it still happens on occasion. So far, I have not noticed that it's related to feeding of any type, and it's been going on since before I started using the Coral Blend. It usually happens at night.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:29 pm 

I use the original and the coral blend exclusively (nori for tangs but they love limpets) and do not see any issues with the skimmer (super reef octopus xp3000i) whether it is off during feeding or left on. There are other variables to the foaming skimmers as to where/how the food is thawed (utensil washed with soap or in a dishwasher)? Do you put your hands in the water at feeding and have you recently washed them, applied lotion, changed the oil in your car or handled certain items at your job that could leach into the water (I have to be careful of this)?

Of course there seems to be no consistency in this hobby and sorting out why one tank will foam its skimmer when you feed and five others won't could be a pretty daunting task.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:20 pm 

Just to update on this.
I will have some test packages of Coral Blend finished this weekend and will be available to those of you who are seeing skimmer issues.
There will be 3 variants and it will be a blind test.
No new additional ingredients will be added to the Coral Blend test packs, only omissions and process changes. So if you have already been using the Coral Blend you are not adding anything new to your tank you have not already been adding.
If you are interested in participating please contact me via pm for more information on this.
If you have any questions feel free to post them here.
Thank you

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:56 pm 
WRS Member
WRS Member

sweet idea ron...........

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:38 pm 

I am very interested in these samples you have made. I believe that if you have a test with no selcon or garlic, I think me and shootas problems would disappear. It seems those are two larger factors with increasing surface tension of the water and not allowing the bubbles to "break" and seperate organics. It will effect tanks differently by either overflowing your skimmer if you wet skim, or the bubbles Burst before they reach a density high enough to make it to the cup, thus releasing micro bubbles into the tank.

My reasoning behind this hypothesis is selcon and selco are high in omega 3's, which chemically are HUFA and PUFA. They are EFA's... Or essential fatty acids. The three main EFA'S are:
ALA, EPA and DHA. DHA is heavily involved in nervous system fuction and development. EPA impacts circulatory health, and ALA seems to also help with circulatory and cardiovascular. Both DHA and EPA can be derived from ALA, and all ultimately find origin mostly in marine phytoplankton. EFA'S do break down rather quickly.
This also could correlate the response on phytoplankton having the same effect on a skimmer.
Just my thoughts.....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:56 am 

First minute is normal skimming action and then the volcano erupts once the food goes in...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbslX0wv8-8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:24 pm 

I use the same skimmer and have never had a problem, but have you cleaned out the next on the cup in a long time because I have noticed if I don't clean the neck out couple times a week I over skim sometimes. Doesn't matter what I feed at that time. I am not sure.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:15 am 

Yes I clean the cup and neck regularly, usually when I empty the cup weekly. I found that cleaning the cup and neck make it worse since the bubbles rise a lot faster without having the "gunk" to break at least some of the bubbles. I can try to take a video with a clean skimmer cup and neck so you can see. With it clean, it will literally rattle the top of the skimmer cup...lol. its funny and frustrating all at the same time :D

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next