Wisconsin Reef Society

The Wisconsin Reef Society
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:03 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Regarding Limpits Coral Blend
Poll ended at Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:16 pm
Yes, omit the garlic and nutritional additives from the Coral Blend. 23%  23%  [ 6 ]
No, leave things just the way they are. 77%  77%  [ 20 ]
Total votes: 26
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:23 pm 
WRS Member
WRS Member

AntiSPAM: No
^^my question is to all of you that voted keep ^^

I strictly use limpits reef and coral. Seriously. That's the only food I use in my display or frag system!
How do you guys know if the garlic and aminos actually help your coral. I'm pretty sure this thread is pertaining the coral blend exclusively, woul it not be the quality ingredients keeping your corals happy.

I say go for a test run Ron and put out a no chemical blend and a standard blend that you have always been making.
I know coral blend is a "new" compared to the standard so maybe it's ment to be "clean"!

Limpits reef buffet clean coral blend. I can see it now. ! :ymsmug:

God Built the Oceans in a Single Day ! It will take slightly longer to build mine . . .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:28 pm 

Thank you everyone for the feedback so far.
I do have a few questions for those of you who are having skimmer issues.
1. Do you shut down your skimmer during feed mode, if so for how long?
2. Do you wet or dry skim?
3. Are you using the Coral Blend, original or both?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:51 pm 

I only use limpits ,to spot feed corals and regular for my nem. I leave the skimmer on and I do a dry skim. I don't notice any more activity when I feed limpits then when I use phytoplankton that I have noticed at all. It does kick up a little bit more but my skimmer even goes a little crazy at water changes as well so no biggie for me. I guess I'm more of the if its not broke don't fix it kind of guy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:51 pm 

i use both the original and coral blend and i dont turn anything off. i have it set as more of a dry skim and dont see any problems. i spot feed with the coral blend but the fish still eat it and i alwaysa use to add garlic in my foods abyway so now i dont have too.

sps and lps alittle bit of everything!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:42 pm 

I guess I threw my 2 cents on mars but I might as well here as well. Limpit's is the only blend food I feed. However I have feed others in the past. I run a swc skimmer and I feed light and have never had a problem with my skimmer. I have never rinsed his food either. That being said I voted a couple days ago for remove the additives and I still feel that way. I feel that the Omega 3 and the garlic are probably just a waste anyway. I have been keeping fish for 10 years now and I have not noticed a difference when I used either. Heck you could even save yourself a little money when you make it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:29 pm 

I have a question for everyone that's on this topic. Do any of you use or dose phytoplankton and if so does this not make your skimmer go crazy? Another thing I thought of most people on here keep 0 nitrates and phosphates or we try to at least lol. However since raw ingredients obviously even when frozen have nitrates could this not be the cause as well? With most people using oversized skimmers and 0 nitrates to suddenly change your water parameters even if slightly would in theory then kind of flame up your skimmer. I mean think of what a doc is dissolved organic compound is basically everything in frozen food. And as it thaws it dissolves releasing nitrates to super clean systems could definitely have an effect on the skimmer.

I'm just asking the question not saying I now everything or pretend to but it seems like a very possible idea. It's not just mysis and its super finally chopped so its possible. I realize these other things could be having an effect as well. I guess with lack of evidence either way we need a test. If limpit makes a batch free of everything but the raw ingredients and has a few people test it then we will know. I think it could make for some intresting observations.

My personnel belief is that because its so finally chopped it is easily absorbed by a protein skimmer. Also it has many ingredients some near microscopic and with a good skimmer that's getting sucked right up as well. I have no more or less skimmer action when I use phyto plankton to spot feed then when I use limpits. Just my experience but I'd love to hear everyone's.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:49 pm 

I swear by Limpits and that's only what I feed my fish. I've tried other stuff and they'll pick at it but they don't go nuts and chomp it up like they do with the Limpits. I will say that my skimmer (eshopps psk-100h HOB) does go crazy and the bubbling reduces down as if it were new and breaking in. It does go back to normal after about an hour. Today I tried something new and disconnected it. I just fed so I will plug it back in about 20 minutes from now and see what happens. Will edit my post with update.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:56 pm 

Funny you would mention that Lonely as I am currently working on a few testing samples to find out if the skimmer issue some people are having is food related. I have never had any issues with any of my setups or skimmers with overflow acter feeding. That being said if you are one of thoss people who is having skimmer issues when feeding my food send me a PM and hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:00 pm 

I voted for the wrong one on accident :( I voted no but wanted to vote yes. I'd like to have a blend that doesn't have the omega and garlic (and phyto or whatever it is that makes my skimmer go bonkers). I use both blends. I like to mix them when spot feeding to give variety in size. I love the consistency of both but just like to add my own garlic and selcon when I want, instead of being forced to use it each and every time. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:00 pm 

Zeus82 wrote:
I swear by Limpits and that's only what I feed my fish. I've tried other stuff and they'll pick at it but they don't go nuts and chomp it up like they do with the Limpits. I will say that my skimmer (eshopps psk-100h HOB) does go crazy and the bubbling reduces down as if it were new and breaking in. It does go back to normal after about an hour. Today I tried something new and disconnected it. I just fed so I will plug it back in about 20 minutes from now and see what happens. Will edit my post with update.

Jesse I am under the impression that the issue people are talking about with skimmers going crazy is that they are overflowing, not a reduction of foam.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next